This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

One way, Outlook to Google, with merge?

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Users being what we are, we are never satisfied. :-)

Version 1.20 includes two-way synchronization and calendar merging. Bravo! What I would like to do is synch one way from Outlook to Google with merge, but not to synch Google to Outlook at all. The idea is that in my personal environment (Google) I would have a unified calendar but that my work environment (Outlook) would have none of my non-work calendar entries at all.

This is a feature request. If it belongs in "Issues," let me know.

Thanks much for picking this project up and carrying it forward.

Clark Wilson
Nov 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Hi Clark,

I might have the version 1.1.4, which seems to do just that. And it works. I'm still a bit anxious, cause I have used most of a full working day to sort out how to make this happen, without it wiping my outlook calendar og making doubles :o)

So far this tool is by far the best...

I can happily live with a one way system (outlook to google), if this ensures stability and no mishaps!

And a big Thanks from me to the developer !

Cheers
Michael
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM
wilsonch wrote:
Users being what we are, we are never satisfied. :-)

Version 1.20 includes two-way synchronization and calendar merging. Bravo! What I would like to do is synch one way from Outlook to Google with merge, but not to synch Google to Outlook at all. The idea is that in my personal environment (Google) I would have a unified calendar but that my work environment (Outlook) would have none of my non-work calendar entries at all.

This is a feature request. If it belongs in "Issues," let me know.

Thanks much for picking this project up and carrying it forward.

Clark Wilson
Hi Clark,
Firstly, thanks so much for showing your support with a donation - it's really appreciated :-)

Version 1.2.0 does indeed include the ability to sync from Google to Outlook, but it should still allow you to do exactly what you described - sync only from Outlook to Google and merge with any existing Google items.

Personally, I prefer to create a new Google calendar (still in your same Google account) especially for Outlook to sync with. That way you can toggle to display the Google "Outlook" calendar alongside your personal calendar, show it a different colour, give it different sharing privileges etc etc.

Hope that helps,
Paul
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM
MichaelMJOE wrote:
I might have the version 1.1.4, which seems to do just that. And it works. I'm still a bit anxious, cause I have used most of a full working day to sort out how to make this happen, without it wiping my outlook calendar og making doubles :o)
Hi Michael,

Glad it's proving useful for you!
I've put quite a bit of work into trying to remove user's anxiousness ;-)
Version 1.1.4 only syncs from Outlook to Google, so there's no worry of you losing your Outlook items.
You also shouldn't end up with duplicates in Google, as the tool "reclaims" any items in Google that it didn't put there and matches it back to the Outlook item if the following attributes are the same
  • start time
  • end time
  • subject
If you do still have duplicates for some reason, it will be safe to let my tool delete them - the items it created will remain. Perhaps try syncing only one day, turn off "merge" and "disable delete" and enable "confirm deletions". That way you can step through each deletion until you are confident it's doing the right thing :-)

Cheers,
Paul
Marked as answer by phw198 on 11/26/2014 at 11:12 AM