This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Sync Outlook with mutiple Google calendars?

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:48 PM
While Outlook allows categories to organize appointments (personal, work, school, etc), Google requires separate calendars for each category. Since I've been using Google for the past several years rather than Outlook I have several calendars over there that I want to sync with Outlook. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!
Jul 3, 2016 at 3:32 PM
Hi I'm basically doing this process in reverse, what I've found as a work around is to open multiple instances Outlook Google Calendar Sync.
Jul 3, 2016 at 4:10 PM
hmmm...how do you do that (open multiple instances) and does it affect your computer's performance at all?
Jul 14, 2016 at 8:21 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2016 at 8:22 PM
Sorry, it's taken me a few days to respond. Its is very easy to open additional instances. Just open the application again and it will open a new instance. The window will automatically minimize but you can access it though the task bar. I'm synching 9 calendars concurrently, and every day thousands of changes are made to them. Performance wise it has not been much of an issue though sometimes I've noticed that automated pdfs are not being made and it has only been an issue since I started doing this. System Resources Bandwidth is also ok though if you have a slow connection it might not be the best option. 24hrs of bandwidth usage
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2016 at 4:22 PM
Edited Aug 11, 2016 at 4:27 PM
Nice to see how people are using OGCS :-)

I do plan on bringing in sync of multiple calendars to the tool, but I've not started development on that yet. Glad you have a stable work around to it meanwhile...

So just to clarify - are you using the ZIP deployment, unzipped 9 times to different folders and each one configured as "Portable"? This way each will have their own configuration (settings.xml) file.
Aug 31, 2016 at 11:33 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2016 at 7:13 PM
Update since my earlier post. I worked with it some more and found that if I create multiple Outlook calendars with their own color I can sync the multiple instances of OGCS to each separately. I didn't know Outlook had an overlay view. Using that I can see a single view of all calendar events at one time. It works pretty well.

Thanks for this technique. It helps a lot.

This was a big help - thanks. I still had some problems with the work-around. It seems like in the second instance you can sync to either the same Outlook calendar or a separate one. If you go with a separate one it's difficult to see all events at once in Outlook. If you sync to the same Outlook calendar they have the same category and it's difficult to distinguish them. There is not an option to categorize calendar events in Outlook 2016, at least not that I could see and after some research there are others with the same problem - probably an Outlook bug.

I'll look forward to OGCS having a way to sync multiple Google calendars to categories in Outlook. Thanks.
Sep 1, 2016 at 7:25 PM
So do you still have an issue syncing each calendar independently? You can do it. If you still can not I will do a longer reply with how I do it, it is pretty simple once you have figured it out, though you have to do the setup for each separately. I have created folders which let me know which calendar I am currently setting up. ITs no ideal but it does the job.
Sep 4, 2016 at 10:39 PM
Yes thanks I can now sync them all. Setting them up was a little tricky because at first they all synched to the default Outlook calendar before I created a separate one and then changed the settings in OGCS to sync to the correct one. Doing it that way was a problem when I tried to delete the duplicated events from the Outlook default. It looked like it wanted to delete them from Google as well which makes sense because that was where they'd originally synced from. Anyway when I redid everything I created my 5 calendars in Outlook and was careful when setting the sync mapping up in OGCS. It now seems to work well.

On the other hand I may still give up using Outlook 2016. I also have a Mac and that version of Outlook no longer syncs to the Mac calendar. When it did in the earlier version it was a way to get Google synched with Outlook but no longer. I wish there was a Mac version of OGCS.

Thanks agin for the help.
Oct 10, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Thank you for this project. Since Google took away the ability to sync with Outlook, I've been left simply reading Google calendars in Outlook, but now my workplace wants to me actually use the MS account I have with them, and thus the calendar, to schedule meetings, etc. With OGCS I can populate my workplace Outlook calendar with only the Google calendars I have created related to work and leave them out of my own "business"! I am using the multiple instances to do this, but will be happy when phw198 brings multiple calendar syncing online.
Coordinator
May 14 at 9:04 PM