This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Prospective User Question: Potential Conflicts with Other Syncing Software

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:15 PM
I am trying to find a way for two of us (pastor and church secretary) to each use our own copies of Outlook and have them sync with a shared Google calendar that would display both my appointments and the church calendar (which the secretary maintains). (This is obviously not an Enterprise installation of Outlook; it's two stand-alone copies.) A few specific wrinkles:

I use Outlook on my Windows laptop; I use CompanionLink to sync Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Notes with my iPad and my Android phone. I use CompanionLink's DejaOffice on the tablet and phone. That process is currently working well; all 3 devices synchronize quickly and accurately. My secretary uses Outlook on her Windows desktop computer; she doesn't sync Outlook to any portable devices. She maintains the calendar of church events on her Outlook calendar.

Our goal: Establish a shared calendar that we both can see and that will give me info about the building calendar and give her info about where I will be on any given day. It would be ideal if the shared calendar had two-way sync; but even a read-only calendar that shows both of those would be better than nothing.

Microsoft used to have a web-based shared calendar function. So I could make my calendar visible to her and vice versa. That function was removed a year or two ago, and we've been trying to improvise ways of sharing calendars ever since.

I found this discussion when I searched for resources on syncing Google Calendar with Outlook Calendar. So my questions:
  • Would this app (Outlook Google Calendar Sync) work for us - two separate Outlook calendars syncing with one Google calendar?
  • Would Outlook Google Calendar Sync play nicely with CompanionLink, as far as you know?
  • If this wouldn't solve our problem, has any of you come across another solution?
  • Is there a better/easier/cleaner solution that I just haven't thought to look for yet?
Thanks for any help you can offer me.
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2016 at 3:14 PM
Syncing to separate Outlook calendars into the same Google calendar isn't yet supported and you'll get the two syncs fighting over which events should be in the Google calendar. You could work around it to some degree by selecting "Merge" and "Disable Deletes", but then if either of you delete an Outlook appointment, the Google event won't be deleted.

However, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't set up a Google calendar for each of you (under the same Google account) and sync calendars 1:1? In Google you can then just display both calendars at the same time.

I do plan on supporting multiple calendar syncs, but it's not there yet.

Re playing nicely with CompanionLink, tbh I don't know, but you'd be very unlucky if it didn't work. Try just syncing a single day first to limit any possible damage!

HTH
Aug 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM
Thank you for this reply. I will try setting up a Google account and having each of us sync our Outlook calendar to a separate Google calendar. That should make things a lot easier for us to share the information we need.

I appreciate your help.
Barbara Bruneau
Coordinator
May 14 at 7:58 PM
Edited May 14 at 8:16 PM