This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Calendar sync fails with "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:43 PM
I cant figure out where I went wrong ... hope you can help me... The situation:

0 Outlook calendar entries to be deleted.

6 Outlook calendar entries to be created.

__Creating 6 Outlook calendar entries...
Unable to add new entries into the Outlook Calendar.
The following error was encountered during sync:-
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Operation aborted after 2 failed attempts!__

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jack
Sep 16, 2016 at 9:24 PM
I struggled with this issue earlier this year. The problem stems from the fact that I have Office 2013 installed but I had to "downgrade" Outlook to Office 2010 because our Exchange server is too old. Doing that left a registry entry in place for Outlook 2013, which confuses calendar sync. Even though the 2013 entry was empty, I guess Calendar Sync just uses the most recent version it finds. Simply deleting that entry from the registry solved my issues. In my case I deleted the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib{00062FFF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\9.5 entry. The entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib{00062FFF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\9.4 is for Outlook 2010 (which I am using) and the 9.5 entry was for Outlook 2013. A more complete description and instructions can be found here. https://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/support/support_gsyncit_2013.shtml

Regards,
Tony
Sep 19, 2016 at 1:44 PM
I am having this same problem and I didn't go through any downgrade process so I don't think this solution applies to me (and likely others). Thanks for the info though.
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2016 at 3:17 PM
Outlook downgrade issues normally produce a COM exception - some of which have workarounds documented in the Documentation section.

The error in the OP is likely from v2.2 and fixed in later alpha releases...
Sep 19, 2016 at 3:29 PM
First of all, thank you for trying to help me...

I am on Office 2016 and I did the RegEdit approach and found that I am already linked to folder "9.6" - so are you still suggesting that I downgrade all the way to Office 2010 where Outlook Google Calendar Sync peacefully coexists with Office?

Thanks,
Jack
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2016 at 3:35 PM
No, absolutely not :) OGCS peacefully co-exists with all version of Outlook. The problem @tauer was referring to is Windows getting a corrupted registry entry if you happen to downgrade Outlook - this would cause many Outlook applications to have problems, not just OGCS.

As you say, you're registry already points to "9.6" which is Outlook 2016, so that's correct. My comment was that the error you posted is likely fixed in later releases of OGCS. Try using the Portable ZIP v2.2.5.0 release....
Sep 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM
Portable ZIP v2.2.5.0 release apparently did not do the trick for me at least - in other words, I still receive the following error messages;

"Unable to add new entries into the Outlook Calendar.
The following error was encountered during sync:-
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Operation aborted after 1 failed attempts!"

I applied the v.2.2.5.0 fix. The About tab shows : Version 2.2.5.0

Please advise.

Many thanks,
Jack
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2016 at 10:21 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Marked as answer by phw198 on 9/19/2016 at 3:22 PM
Sep 20, 2016 at 4:22 PM
I have been trying to attach the log file to the "work item" but couldnt get it off the ground. Please advise.

Thanks,
Jack
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2016 at 5:29 PM
What do you mean by "off the ground"? Should just be a case of typing a comment in the ticket, clicking Browse to select the logfile, typing in the Captcha code and clicking Save....

If CodePlex is messing around, upload it to my CloudWok.